Wednesday, June 18, 2008

It better shine like the top of the Chrysler Building...

Can anyone remember Miss Hannigan in Annie... well this summer I have taken a page out of her book and am working the kids in my house like they were rotten orphans...little pig droppings. Just kidding- but I do have a pretty good system for getting jobs done around my house. Because I am not a very organized person ( more like a fly by the seat of my pants kind of girl) I have to give credit where credit is due and tell you that I got this idea from Jackson's tutor and my life coach, mentor, inspiration and friend, Judy Wayment! My kids all have a job binder... On the front cover it has a chart of jobs they have to do every day... but sometimes when I say clean their version is a little different. That is why this system ROCKS!!! Instead of hollering " It better shine like the top of the Chrysler Building!" I have given them a step by step guide in how to do the job and then when I check it off I go by that very check list... Each day of the week has every job they do that day spelled out in the magic list. The beautiful thing is that these little jobs have to be done before the T.V. or X-Box is turned on, friends are called, or anything else is done. It takes the emotion out of it because if it takes 30 minutes or 4 hours it is totally up to them. I will say that for the first week it was crying and knashing of teeth, but as I stuck to it without emotion ( easier said than done) it got easier. Good luck and if you have any questions...just ask! It revolutionized my summer! I also showed Meg's book. Last summer she couldn't read so I did pictures. Give it a try... If I can do it ANYONE can! Your kids will hate it at first, but then they get used to it and it makes the world a better place.
















18 comments:

CanCan said...

I need someone like you to help me to be this organized with my own children. And I'm a teacher! I should be ashamed...

Mindi said...

i tried to enlarge mitch's job chart so i could straight up rip it off but it no workey.
send it to my email and i will worship you.

kourtney said...

Can I get a couple of copies of this?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, what Mindi said!! I can't read to even try to heist it! ;)
Are you passing them out?!? We likey, A LOT!!

Anonymous said...

That's the only way this momma and this house hold functions! Job charts!!

Amy said...

sorry... I didn't realize it was posted. I have fixed it now and it is a little easier to read. Have at it. It has rocked my world!

Devri said...

Life goes alot easier when children do what they are suppose to do, glad to see that is working for you, I just beat mine and now they know :} jk

Holly H. said...

That is impressive. I just scream at my kids instead... ;) JK

tiburon said...

I heart you. For real

Please email the chart to me too. I need it. My kids need it. They don't think that they do - but they do.

tammy said...

Love that idea! Especially the part detailing them how to do it. My 11 year old still doesn't get how the bed is supposed to look once it's made. I wonder if I could make a chart for Luvpilot as well?

Chanda said...

Ha ha - that was hilarious. I use to totally call my mom Ms. Hannigan. I heart Annie. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

simply kris said...

freak. after yesterday and yes the bum loaded swimming pool, i made a rule that we will not be contacting anyone, lazing about, giggling~anything~ until lunch is over. I have so much to do with SIS and the house is going to pot. this job chart/tear maker is just what needy kris desires. kisses to you, AMY!!!!

simply kris said...

email me the pics.... please please please.... you took the yells right out of my mouth on a clean room. do you make job charts for 34 year old chicks? I could SO use one. Will you please, and I am not being flippant, tell me what room I should tidy and on what day to make my weekends enjoyable? I REALLY need some help.

kristi lee said...

I SOOOO need this! Thank you!!!!

kourtney said...

Okay, I think I'm just going to have to bypass the wyberworld and call you or stop by, then I can get a couple of copies of this chart.

Dixie & Anne Leavitt Family Events said...

What a great idea! I have seriously been strugling with this same thing lately and have been trying to come up with a great plan to tackle the "chore master" dillema! My problem is letting go of the feeling that everything has to be done my way and that it is just easier to do myself the first time than take the time to fix it later. How did you make that great chart for Meg? I have to have one!

P.S. I love Annie...it's one of my all time favorites. In fact, when I was 6 yrs old I wore my "Annie" dress everyday for like 2 months straight until one day it mysteriously came up missing....

Crazymamaof6 said...

i bow down. officially! WOW! you rock! and i totally do house cleaning mrs. hannigan style. sad but true. maybe if i had fab charts like yours i wouldn't have to be so haggish!

kim said...

You are a GENIUS!!! I have all but given up on my children helping but you have given me renewed determination!!! THANK YOU, (but I'm sure not from the kids.:))