Sunday, August 24, 2008

A day celebrating Ty!

Today would have been Ty's 11th birthday. His mom, Rebekah knew that is was going to be such a hard day and wanted to celebrate instead of be so heart sad. When he died, their neighborhood all got together and donated money for a memorial area in little park in their subdivision. They planted a tree, got a cool wraught iron bench, and a little plaque memorial stone. Today was the day they set the stone and kindof dedicataed the area " Ty's Memory Corner". We all gathered to remember what a great kid he was... we had birthday cake and even sang happy birthday as all the friends sent red helium balloons to Ty in Heaven. His mom put together a little DVD of the slide show that was played at the viewing... and then just found some new homevideos of him singing and dancing to this crazy song. How fun it was to watch. We really miss him and with school starting tomorrow, I think the kids were thinking about him, but just didn't know what to say or how to say it. This little celebration of Ty was a great way to continue the healing process. I am glad that Rebekah gathered us all together to think of him and remember how special he was to all of us. It was a really great day!

12 comments:

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

That is neat that you all did that. What a strong family!

tiburon said...

Aww that is so sad - but what a great way to remember him. :(

Devri said...

That is great his mom can be so strong, I tell ya if I eva lost one, I'd just go to the looney bin, for real!

Devri said...

ps, great job being there to support the fam..

tammy said...

What a great idea. I can't possibly imagine losing a child. I hope I never have to. My heart goes out to your family.

Anonymous said...

I think that's great that the mom chose to make his birthday a celebration! She sounds like a wonderful lady.

Anonymous said...

Awww. What a neat thing to do.

Kristen said...

Loved this post. Thanks for sharing it. We lost a son about 7 years ago and I have yet to get to the point where I can celebrate his birthday. I usually feel pretty lucky just to get through the day!

Misty said...

How sad, but oh so great to remember.

Holly H. said...

What a great idea to remember and honor him... but still, so sad.

Over The Tipsy Top Design said...

That is the nicest thing I can't stop the tears from flooding to my eyes. Ty's mom must be so brave, that was an amazing thing for you guys to do. But what did I expect, you are amazing!!

Love, tonia

AnneMarie said...

Heart breaking. We have a similar little spot at our local park where the family can go to sit and reflect and think about thier little girl who was killed in an auto accident.