Friday, October 3, 2008

Fabulous Fall Food...SOUP!

The Weather is finally going to turn fallish tomorrow! YEAH! Here are some ideas for the best food for fall...SOUP!
Nothing is better than a warm bowl of soup & some yummy bread on a cold autumn afternoon. We have football games tomorrow so I am going to start it beforehand so we can come home to some Creamy Chicken noodle goodness...

3-4 chicken breast
3-4 quarts water
1 can evaporated milk
3 Tbsp. chicken bouillon
1 cube butter
4 potatoes
1 cup flour
3 celery stalks sliced
1 cup milk
1/2 pkg. Bowtie pasta
15 baby carrots cut in fourths.
Mrs. Dash, garlic powder, and pepper to taste.

Boil the chicken in water, bouillon, and a few shakes of garlic powder, pepper, and Mrs. Dash in a large soup pan. Remove Chicken after it is boiled...but, keep the broth. Add more water if the water is low. Add carrots, celery and potatoes and pasta. When pasta is almost done add chicken. In another bowl mix melted butter, flour and warmed canned milk and milk. Mix until all lumps are gone. Add to soup mix and boil to thicken. This soup tends to really thicken up as it cools. !


One of the greatest things about fall is PUMPKINS!
They are so versatile! Two years ago I had a party and served the chili and soups in cleaned out pumpkin pie ( the little ones) pumpkins. It is an idea that I got from Tonia... and it was a fun way to celebrate the season! I did have carpel tunnel from cleaning 25 pumpkins out, but it was well worth it.

Another idea... Beef stew in a baked pumpkin!

Make the stew ( or any hearty soup) and then put in a cleaned out pumpkin.

Make the stew or any other soup you would like and then put it in a pumpkin that has been cleaned and rubbed down with cooking oil. This makes the outside shiny and gives some protection. Cook it for about an hour or until the sides get a little soft. Don't overcook or it won't support the soup. This is so yummy because the pumpkin cooks and you get a little pumpkin taste with the soup...plus you look like Betty Freakin' Crocker!

There are a lot of recipes on the internet for pumpkin soups, etc... I have never tried any of them, but they do look yum!

Play with the pumpkins...use them for dip bowls, soup bowls, anything- Have fun. This is the best time of year to have more serving dishes...You don't have to store them, because you just throw them away when you're done!

Good Luck!


29 comments:

tammy said...

Yummy! It'a actually gonna cool down to 81 this weekend so maybe I can make some soup.

email me at this address:
time2shop@gmail.com
I don't use my other one much anymore.

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

LOVE THESE RECIPES! Great ones to make in this cooler weather!

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

I'm doing a shout out for you today on my page...check it out!

Letti said...

I love soups and I can eat them all year long. Thanks for the recipes. I am so ready fo rthe cooler weather too.

Vanessa said...

Is your real name Martha Stewart? I think you should be one of the guest co-host in GTU. You could do the whole show w/all your wonderful ideas!

rachel said...

I'm coming to your house for dinna :)

Anonymous said...

That recipe sounds like a keeper, I am going to print it out. I loved the pumpkin dip, um, so much I had to go out and get another bag of cookies so it wouldnt fo to waste.

P.S. love the idea, and who doesn't want to look like Betty Freakin' Crocker!

Devri said...

Amy your too much, keep it comin'

Misty said...

NEED. TO. HAVE. SOUP. This serioulsy looks so awesome and I think I might just make it. ahhhh And honey, I would love to have you over, but don't expect soup in carved pumpkins. I can only offer great company!

tammy said...

Misty is your top commentor now? I can't have that. I've gotta up my commenting.

tammy said...

It's okay to blog while the choir is singing right?

Bren's Life said...

You have such awesome ideas & recipes.. I can't wait to try all of them. And I love your pictures. I sure wish it looked like that here...

Creations from my heart said...

I'm going to try your recipe for the soup next week. Can't wait to see your front porch! Blessings....Sherry

Kay said...

I say skip the soup, eat the bread.

You should do a Magical Monday. Not as in fantasy magic, but as turning the table on monday being horrid as it's the first day of the traditional office work week.

Collette said...

sounds yummy! i am so sorry about your loss- football loss that is! i hope all was better with a nice big warm bowl of soup!

blah, blah by lindsey said...

thanks for that recipe, it sounds sooo good. i have a really good recipe for pumpkin soup. we had it last thanksgiving and it was served in a large pumpkin too. if you are interested in it email me at linzegarrett (at) gmail (dot) com

Kristen said...

Yummy! Can't wait to try your chicken noodle soup recipe.

Mindi said...

do they have soup at taco bell?

Gretchen said...

OOOOOOh...that looks so good!! Especially on a cold, rainy day like today! You are always up to something fun and creative! I love the pumpking idea, but holy crap...I bet you DID have carpal tunnel!! You are some friend to do that for everyone! I would have said, here is a pumpkin, you better get carving so you have something to eat out of!! It looks like you are having so much fun with the fall season! You make me even more excied about fall!

Shannon said...

I'm coming over to your house for dinner!
Love the pumpkin "serving dishes!"

Anonymous said...

That sounds fantastic and that picture of the tree is one of th emost beautiful I've seen!
doot65{at}comcast[dot]net
Elizabeth

The Patrona said...

Ditto on the soup and time of the year!

Too bad you don't do tomatoes, because I would love to have a get together with you and eat Creamy-Tomato-Basil Soup. Yummm! Let's chat Chicken Noodle on Tuesday.

Michael said...

You should invite good friends over to eat the soup with you. If your friends are busy, you could invite us!!!!

Anonymous said...

these are such wonderful ideas!!!! :)
wooo hooo!

Da Bergs said...

YUM!!! I copied down your soup recipe! I am making that THIS week!!! THANKS!

Unknown said...

Those pictures look good enouph to eat. They look strait out of a magazine. Are you always this Martha?

Kellie said...

That looks so good!!!

AnneMarie said...

Yum! The soup sounds wonderful! I'm impressed you cleaned out of the mini pumpkins! What a good hostess!

veronica said...

I made your creamy chicken noodle soup for my family yesterday. Everyone LOVED it! There was even enough for lunch today. Thank you for sharing the recipe!