Sunday, November 16, 2008

Let the Reindeer Games Begin...

Let The Reindeer Games Begin... Tonight my Christmas tree is half way up ( not decorataed...just up)... the lights are working... and I found my newest set of reindeer at Z Gallerie. Yeah... they are copper! Am I ready for this? It seems like I was just putting my Halloween decor out and now I am decking the halls? Two years ago I got a new 12' Christmas Tree and I LOVE it. I love it when my kids go to bed and I can just sit and watch the lights. I set the tree light timer to go on the same time my alarm goes off so I can walk into a lit tree. That sounds so dumb... but I just love the lights. I am excited for the Holidays this year. Although there is a recession going on and I am NOT made of money.. I want to make Christmas really great this year. One thing that my mom, VIV, does is... she wraps a beautiful gift for us to unwrap on Thanksgiving night. It is some great Christmas Decoration that we can enjoy the whole season. It is a fun tradition and I think of it often during the Holidays. I usually take a sharpie and on the bottom write what year I got it and who gave it to me. While I decorate I remember where and when I got each decoration and I am so grateful for all the people in my life. Maybe that is something you could start in your own family. The decoration doesn't have to be expensive, just something to kick the season off....wrapped beautifully, of course! What are some of your special traditions that help make the SEASON bright?

12 comments:

Mandi Shandi said...

You're not crazy! I love the lights on my Christmas tree too, and also set the timer for the lights to be on when I get up. Smiling just thinking about it!

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

I love the lights too! And what I love is what I do every year-give all of my family and ornament with the year that they got it! BUT, I never thought about giving it to them on Thanksgiving! TOO FUN! I am DOING that now! thanks!
I can't wait to see your pictures of your tree!

tammy said...

I was just thinking Luvpilot should get our tree out. We got a 12' two years ago too. The coincidences between us are amazing. So do you collect reindeer then?

One of our traditions is to read a different Christmas story every night in Dec. Taylor still likes it even though he's getting older.

Suzie said...

What a grand idea! I love this tradition and I am going to start it this year.
I am on a hunt starting tomorrow for something for each of my older kids.
Thanks, Amy!
and I LOVE those reindeer.

rychelle said...

what a great tradition!

i'm really excited about christmas too.

Anonymous said...

I'm actually still partaking of Thanksgiving! I LOVE to see all of the beautiful orange around my house. But have no FEAR...It will be down right after T.G. to let the reds and greens filter thru mi casa!! All this decorating tires me out. I think I'm getting old!

Kristen said...

Our "Christmas countdown" involves unwrapping a Christmas book, new or old, and reading it at bedtime.

Anonymous said...

I think I am in love with your bronze reindeer, they're stunning!
Being that we are German, we start the Advent calendars on December 1 and the boys are anxiously waiting for this.

We haven't yet started decking the halls, because we are still creating our gratitude tree for Thanksgiving...but it's a comin'!

Lillian J. Banks said...

My friend puts her Christmas tree up the day after Halloween- I think she has the right idea when there is a tougher year than most.
I hope to get mine up Thanksgiving week, but I wish I would have done it sooner.
My mom always made holidays a big deal. When all the stockings were hung wew would have a secret person for a week. We would leave notes, gum or surprises in their Christmas socks. I loved coming home from school and checking my sock. :)

blah, blah by lindsey said...

i love that tradition of getting a decoration to enjoy the whole season!

we put our tree of the day after thanksgiving..i am trying to hold out for another week..

Holly H. said...

I too love the Christmas tree lights! I can't believe you have yours up already. Dang!

What a great idea your mom came up with to give you a Christmas decoration on Thanksgiving. I just might have to copy it!

Devri said...

Amy, your mom has a great idea. and I love the lights too, your not crazy.

We really don't do anything specatular just decorate our house like the lampoons that's all.