Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Spring Break 09'

Yesterday was the first day of Spring Break 09'... wow! How times have changed...
We cleaned bedrooms, I got my nails done, & we had Chinese food for dinner.
In my life there are a few historical things I heard about, but missed out on...
Woodstock
The tearing down of the Berlin Wall
Live Aid...
BUT-
There is something that I did get to experience several times...
Spring Break 87'- 90'...HERE
St. George Boulevard!
The best part of growing up in St. George could be summed up in two words: Spring Break!
Back in the day... all the school districts along the Wasatch Front let out the week before or after Easter... The highpoint was Easter Weekend!
1 million ( okay maybe only a few thousand)teenagers would descend on the St. George Blvd like bees to honey !
There were dances, going to the "narrows", cruising the "Vard" in my convertible Cabriolet, walking the "Vard", hanging out at Las Palmas, finding Northern Utah hotties, etc. etc. etc...
This was the greatest weekend of the year!
My friends and I already had our summer tans, new clothes, and were so excited to hit the Dixie nightlife.
Some really great memories were created!
So... the question is... Did you go to St. George during Spring Break?
If a certain group of St. George girls either stole your boyfriend for the weekend or took your lounge chair at Las Palmas...we were sorry.
We were locals...we thought we owned the place!
What do you remember?
p.s. Now that I am finished reminiscing... I will get my herd ready to go to the movies and pack our stuff to go to a Vegas ball tourney... really? Times have Changed!

12 comments:

Vanessa said...

I always wanted to go, but my parents would never give in. I did go down once while going to SUU, but everyone was so much younger than me. I guess I could have swooped on some young meat, but that would have been awkward.

Tiffany said...

Never got to go, but it sure sounds fun!

tiburon said...

I went last year. It was sa-weet.

It would be sweeter with you ;)

tammy said...

So it was you that stole my man!

This changes things dramatically.

Anonymous said...

Oh to be a kid again! Have fun on your trip!

Mindi said...

i experienced st. george spring break right along with you--ahhhh, the memories!

i totally remember having a countdown in my locker that we crossed off a day every morning--it started when we came back from christmas break.

i also remember adam burningham--the guy i kissed when i was a junior and thought we were going to get married. we didn't. why not? i thought it would last 4ever.

Kendra said...

AAAAHHHH Yes - the wonderful weekend of Spring Break. We also counted this weekend down - even in college. We had score sheets of who got the most scams and of how many new guys we could meet. I was so daring back then - kissing boys I didn't even know. I have to say I am sad that my daughter that will soon be of this age - will never get to experience the St. George Spring Break - It's like a legend!

Suzie said...

My mom wouldn't ever let me go. Something about the crazy local girls.
;)

CoLiE-O said...

wow. boy did i ever! one year we stayed at the sands motel (its still there, suprisingly) and got into some serious trouble (not me- i was too good..really). but i remember my friends finding some "hot" guys to hang out with, they started drinking (their first time) and then the cops showed up. someone told my friend if she sucked on a bunch of pennies, it would give a negative result with the breathalizer. ha ha. she threw about a handful of pennies in her mouth just as the cop approached our room- he caught her and told her to spit it out. she looked like a slot machine spittin pennies....anyway- it didnt work and she got a ticket. thats just ONE of many many good blvd stories!

Creations from my heart said...

Love love love the yellow and black apron. You are getting quite good at it! I am delivering the pattern to the post office for you today. I am leaving for out of town. Enjoy your Easter Break. Blessings...Sherry

mCat said...

I am here now. Spring Break and St George. Me no likey. Too many kids!!

Brandy said...

Ya gotta love the Vard!