Sunday, July 12, 2009

A scary night...

Saturday night our phone rang at 1:00 am... never a good sign.
Caylor answered it...said thank-you, got up and went and stood by our stairs.
Then he came back in our room and went into the closet.
He came out dressed - carrying his gun and headed out into the dark house.
I was totally confused and somewhat alarmed.
Here is what happened...
Jackson heard some noises in our un- finished sub-basement that is below his room... he was too afraid to get up and way to afraid to call up to us. He grabbed his itouch and got on facebook to see who was available to chat. He found a little girl named Stephanie and messaged her to call our house and tell his dad that someone was in our house. She did and that was when Caylor got up.
He also heard noises so he got dressed and grabbed his Winchester cowboy gun.
He turned on lights out on our deck and then called 911.
Minutes later, two policemen came to our house...
one through the front door and the other was in our backyard.
The one inside our house asked where our kids were and got a basic layout of our basements... He then took his gun out of the holster and headed downstairs... as he got to the bottom of our stairs he hollered out..." This is the (our city) police... if there is someone in there, make yourself known... you have been warned"
HOLY CRAP!
I was dying, but all I could think of to say to my boys was..."He is going to see my apron body, Bette, and shoot her"...
They thought that was somewhat funny...
The other policeman found the bottom basement door open, but they couldn't find anyone.
They "secured" the basement, checked every nook and cranny and left us to enjoy the night.
Did I say HOLY CRAP?
HOLY CRAP!
I don't know whether it was the wind, maybe my boys left one of the doors unlocked, or maybe someone really was there; and when Caylor started making all that noise and turning on lights he scared them away.
I wasn't really afraid because Big Daddy was here, but sometimes I stay home alone.
Again, HOLY CRAP!
Nothing was missing...nothing was hurt... the basement did look ransacked, but it looked like that before- nothing a burlger did. If there was a burgler, they could have a least cleaned the storage room up.
( this pictures wasn't taken Saturday night... it was taken when we lived in Boise and we had a bird in the house... Caylor successfully protected us then with the BB gun)
Today I am a little shaken by the "what could have happeneds"
I am so proud of Jackson that he thought to facebook someone... Even though he was so afraid, he stayed calm and had a great solution.
I am glad that little girls stay up half the night chatting on facebook.
I am glad that it was only what it was...
I am also glad Caylor keeps that real life "cowboy gun" in the closet ( on a special shelf with trigger locks, of course)
I have never seen him so calm and adrenaline driven...
A little freaky...
But the moral of this story is...
True story!
I am not laughing and being glib... but it is good to find some kind of humor in everything.
What is not funny... that my boys probably won't sleep down in their rooms for a while.
The good thing that came from this is... I think ADT is getting a new client!
Oh... and Bette is safe!

17 comments:

tammy said...

Oh.my.gosh.

Freaking out!!

And you are the second friend of mine that had an intruder last night! Another one had one when they were wide awake, but swimming out back.

Glad you and Bette were okay. And that Caylor carries. Another reason for not having our guns taken for us. (You know I had to throw that in there.)

mCat said...

WTF - I would be still shaking..... good thinking on your son's part to face book someone.
I wouldn't have thought of that.

And I agree with Tammy. Good think Caylor carries..

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an eventful night! I would be shaken up by the what if's too. Thank goodness everyone, including Bette is ok.

I never like the after midnight calls.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Yowza! Scary!
Good thing that Caylor packs. Not sure I would have been able to sleep again EVER.

Glad Bette is ok too!

Jen said...

I am a blurker( is that what they are called??)and I think your blog is so cute! I am so glad your family and you are okay!!!

Vanessa said...

Glad you are all safe and sound and that it ended the way it did!

Pedaling said...

now, they know.
you gotta gun and are not afraid to use it!
good for you!

veronica said...

Holy Crap is right! I'm glad you guys are okay. Jackson is one smart kid.

Unknown said...

holy crap sister! Glad your "man" was home to protect you and the chillins!
I'm sure it was the "craft" boogie man looking to score...
lol
m

Mindi said...

all i can say is : HOLY SHIT!!

you so crayyyyyzzzzzyyyyyy. and lucky.

on a less scary note:the countdown is ON!

Da Bergs said...

Holy Cow, THAT was scary! I am so glad that no one was there and no one got hurt!!!

hannie bailey said...

good story! mostly fb addicts... I just don't get them! But, she did come in real handy for you guys!

Mandi Shandi said...

Good. Grief. I could not read fast enough to get to the bottom and make sure you were okay. I have had a break in before and know it changes your sense of security. Way to go Jackson for thinking so clearly in an emergency.

The Patrona said...

Glad to know that the Dalley home is proudly protected by our second amendment right.

tiburon said...

EEK! That is downright scary!

Do you have a house alarm?

kado! said...

WHOA! How freaky! Glad all is OK and you are all safe! What a crazy night!

Shawn said...

NO WAY! I'm freaked just reading that! So glad I have 2 German Shepherds and an alarm system!