Monday, June 21, 2010

Summer Reading...

Que dramatic Tara Music....
In my quest for 52 books... I just finished reading
Gone With the Wind!
AMAZING!
It wasn't the easiest read in the world...
Basically a discourse on Southern living pre and post Civil War...
With a little bit of romance thrown in for good measure!
And am I glad it was thrown in!
Rhett and Scarlett... LOVED THEM!
Ashley... Really Scarlett? What were you thinking?
I read all sorts of reviews on it before I read it and there were so many claiming this to be such a racist book...I don't think so!
Margaret Mitchell explained EXACTLY what it was like,I felt like I had been transported back in time.

Scarlett- Let's talk about the original DIVA!
She was strong,and beautifu, and manipulative, and pretty much a brat...
AND I loved her.
Too bad there are no more kids for me... I would be all about
having a daughter named Scarlett...
I wasn't as familiar with the story as I thought I was... I kept waiting for Rhett and Scarlett to just get over it and live happily ever after!
I still think that they will end up together!
Rhett Butler... The scalawag, carpetbagger, devil,
perpetual bad-boy...
LOVED him even more than Scarlett!
I loved how he was who he was...like him or not!
And the line...
"Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!"
I can see why both the book and the movie have stood the test of time.
If nothing else great comes from my little 2010 reading challenge, that is okay...
I found one of my new favorite books!
I am not a real lover of the classics... but this one
is a must read!
I have always been somewhat curious/obsessed about the South and the Southern way of living...
This just added to that desire... bring on the Civil War, Pat Conroy, and a trip to the Bayou.
I gotta get to the original Dixie!

7 comments:

Vanessa said...

I feel a Gone with the Wind party coming on.

Johnsons said...

Amy I just had Phenix read that book. She is a speed reader and it took her forever, and I think she wanted to shoot her self in the foot during it.....

Cathy said...

I know where you can come visit the south!! Come to Arkansas and you already have a place to stay!!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Hmmm, I might have to go get that one!

The Patrona said...

And people wonder why I insist on naming my first daughter, Scarlett...such a classic.

missy said...

(Swoon) Clark Gable. What a handsome man.
They just don't make them like that anymore...pity.

Dips Recipes said...

Appreciate your blog postt