Monday, August 18, 2008

How to be a good wife...

So... I went to Dear Lizzie for Tonia's b-day shopabration and had such a great time... blah...blah...blah... old news! While I was there I bought the greatest t-shirt. It has a retro housewife on it ( you all know I love the 50's type housewife...wearing an apron, of course!) and the word HOUSEWIFE bedazzled with pink rhinestones.Love it! The best part is that it has this little quote from a 1954 Home Ec. book on the back of the shirt. I loved it when I saw it and had to get it. I have read this before and it totally cracks me up. As I was reading it this time... I realized that I strive to do many of the things that are listed below. I don't really love the tone, for it is a little condescending to the "little woman" but on the whole... I like my job as a "housemom" and try to take pride in being a good homemaker.When I was first married I was riding to Las Vegas with my mom, Viv. She gave me the whole talk about... " when your man comes home, you need to have some food on the table, and the house needs to be clean" and I bought it. Later I listened to Dr. Laura's book "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands" and got the idea that as long as you cook food, keep a fairly clean house, and give "IT" up once and a while you can have anything you want from your man. I tend to believe it. Now... don't think that all I do is clean, and cook, and clean some more! Any of my friends will tell you that I can play with the best of them all morning and early afternoon... but, about 3:00 in the afternoon I get nervous to get home and start "backpedaling" or making it appear that I have been slaving away all day. There is a blog out there WWMD ( What would Martha Do) that makes no bones about being a homemaker and LOVING it. I am going to again holler something from the rafters...take a stand! I am going to say it loud and say it proud... I LOVE TO COOK, DECORATE MY HOUSE, HAVE A CLEAN HOUSE ( notice I didn't say clean my house... I hate that... I just like the after effect), BE CRAFTY, AND BE DOMESTIC. I would like to be Martha Stewart! I am not always perfect... and neither is my house or my menu, but today I am going to strive to think.. "What Would Martha Do" and then DO IT! That is my soap box message for this day... Now... I am going to go tie one on ( whether an apron or something else... you'll never know) and get my work done...unless someone calls to go to lunch and then I will "backpedal" my work done later!

HOW TO BE A GOOD WIFE
Home Economics High School Text Book, 1954


Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal, on time. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospect of a good meal are part of the warm welcome needed.

Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so that you'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your makeup, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people. Be a little gay and a little more interesting. His boring day may need a lift.

Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the home just before your husband arrives, gather up schoolbooks, toys, paper, etc. Then run a dust cloth over the tables. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift, too.

Prepare the children. Take a few minutes to wash the children's hands and faces (if they are small), comb their hair, and if necessary change their clothes. They are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part.

Minimize all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer, dishwasher, or vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet. Be happy to see him. Greet him with a warm smile and be glad he is home.

Some don'ts: Don't greet him with problems or complaints. Don't complain if he is late for dinner. Count this as minor compared with what he might have gone through that day. Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or suggest he lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him. Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soft, soothing and pleasant voice. Allow him to relax and unwind.

Listen to him. You may have a dozen things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first.

Make the evening his. Never complain if he does not take you out to dinner or to other places of entertainment. Instead, try to understand his world of strain and pressure, his need to be home and relax.

The Goal: Try to make your home a place of peace and order where your husband can renew himself in body and spirit.

20 comments:

Devri said...

Oh my goodness, that is me to a tee, people think that I spoil my husband, that actually one person asked if he beats me(true) becuase I do all that for him, I just laugh- he slaves away at work night and day, and day and night- the most I could do for him is make him some food to show that I love him and thank him for letting me stay home with the children. A house of order, a house of prayer, a house of worship, and a house of love... Amen sista!!!!

Kristen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristen said...

Wow! Don't think I could do all that--I'm guilty of doing most of the opposite. I do love a clean house, and quiet kids would be nice. But I am not removing his shoes and suggesting a nap! It's his turn to deal with the little people in our family--I'll go take that nap! Love the shirt! Where do I get mine?

Anonymous said...

Amen!!

Jodi and Mandi said...

I found your blog recently and I love what you write, you are so great. I'll do lunch with you and then do some "back pedaling" We always run into each other when we are both shopping or eating. So we might as well get together.

Holly H. said...

Well good for you! I think it's great you love to do all that stuff. As for me, I do enjoy a clean house, but the cooking thing is hit or miss...

Misty said...

This is TERRIBLE - boy, has times changed! Love the t-shirt!

Anonymous said...

The greatest thing I learned from you was to "backpedal"! haha! I still do it to this day also! Infact, I did a blog post on it a few months ago. It's the best talent I have.

And as for you buying a t-shirt? I'm not sure I've EVER seen you in a t-shirt!! Please do blog a picture with you wearing it!

Collette said...

love the shirt and i also love how you make the bed right before your man comes home too! i also love how if we do our part we can pretty much get whatever we want!!
whatever works..

tammy said...

I want that t-shirt! I try to think like Martha too, and I've been known to backpedal, too, but Luvpilot usually comes home from work after my bedtime. It's the days that he's off that I have to try and make it appear that I am SO BUSY during the day. So the days that he's gone, I do whatever I want, but the days that he's home, I bust my butt cleaning, cooking and sometimes even give "IT" up, too. We're no dummy.

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

Truthfully...I would love to be Martha too! I love all the things that she is about, entertaining, cooking, cleaning, crafting...all of it (minus the exotic animal stuff)!
I put the same text book stuff in a post a while back here. Times sure have changed...thank the lord! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow. I need a lot of help!

Mia said...

I love being a wife and a mother and I love being at home with the kids. I am not the best at the decorated house and the food on the table. But I make sure my hubby knows that I love him.

Mindi said...

hey--i think that being a sahm is the best job in the WORLD!! that could also be because i am too lazy to go to a 'real job', but i'm gonna attribute it to the fact that i actually like to decorate and have a clean (not TO CLEAN) house...good stuff, biyotch

Mindi said...

ps--what is "IT" exactly you are giving up to caylor? do tell....

Vanessa said...

Ditto to what Mindi said.

tiburon said...

I love that. Have you been watching me? Peeking in my windows?

Shannon said...

Go Amy! I love having a clean house, but hate cleaning it. My only problem is that my husband comes in and out at ay time and on any given day. Which means that I have periodically been busted on the computer, phone, in my craft room, etc. I love the whole backpedaling though. It's perfect!

Unknown said...

Well, if Devri comments I must. hee hee Although I dont believe I am like this at all. (I think I used to try to be as well) And the more kids I get the less like this I am. Even the "It" part. And I used to kinda be a hussy! I Love my house being clean, and I love crafty stuff as well. Although I cannot sew a stitch! So thier arent alot of apron's at my house... I do "like" the idea though. Whats wrong with it? Even though it is a something not to be liked in this day and age. Why? Why cant we be all that and a have a bag of chips? I love being a mommy, having a clean house, and going to lunch. (I also like to pamper my hubby) You go girl. Get up on your soap box anytime!