Sunday, September 28, 2008

Fabulous Fall... just a bit late!

It is Sunday... but I am posting Fabulous Fall Friday- just a lit late!
An apple a day, keeps the doctor away- and there is nothing that says autumn like everything apple! Here are a few of my favorite apple treats!

Wassail is such a warm yummy Fall/ Holiday tradition! Here is how I make it...

1 gallon apples juice

1 cup orange juice

3/4 cup lemon juiced

2 cups sugar

15 cinnamon sticks

20 whole cloves

15 whole allspice berries

( if you want it to appear a little redish... throw in 10-20 cinnamon red hots)

Bring to a boil and then simmer. Strain all the spices out and serve with a cinnamon stick. Any extra can be saved in a pitcher ( or the apples juice container) in the fridge to warm up in the microwave upon demand.

Apple Caramel Dipping Sauces-
#1- 8 oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup caramel sauce
1 tsp. vanilla
mix together and chill... you could mold this into a ball and then roll in broken Heath pieces.

#2 1 jar of Carmel sauce ( I like to use Mrs. Richardson's)
1/2 cup of Sour Cream
Heath Bar pieces

** Serve both recipes with apples slices!

* Here is my FAVORITE tip for preventing apples from turning brown. Everyone knows that lemon juice prevents the browning, but then your apples taste like lemon/apples. I fill a huge pot with very cold water and about 2-3 cups of sugar. Let the sugar dissolve and then as you slice the apples drop them in the sugar water. You can leave them in there for a while and when you are ready to serve, your apples will look freshly cut for hours.

13 comments:

tammy said...

I love you. That is the best tip ever.

And I love apples and caramel dip and you just made it 100 times better with those recipes. I
am going to the store today. I mean tomorrow. I would never shop on Sunday. Nothing like some wassail in those cold winter months too. Or when it's 75 degrees here. My favorite.

Mindi said...

you're killing me, smalls.

now russ is gonna expect me to get all domesticated on him and make stuff. i prefer the drive thru at taco bell. you know that.

stop messing with me!

ps i want that wassail.

Devri said...

Thank you thank you thank you, and I hope you are feeling better.

tiburon said...

That apple tip is awesome - thanks for the recipes :)

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite things when the weather changes is hot drinks. I love them, the hotter the better. Thanks for the apple tip, I plan on using that one for J's Halloween partay!

rachel said...

I love apples and dipping sauces!!!

Anonymous said...

I have certainly enjoyed both of these fine recipes made by you and they are divine! Thanks for the recipes!!

Anonymous said...

I like to use 7-up to keep the cut apples fresh. It gives them that extea crisp bite too. Yum!

Becky, yep said...

AAahhh, I see the resemblence with you and Mindi...you are both A-frickin'-mazing bloggers!
I'm running to the store now for the 'gredience!
Thanks Amy!

Misty said...

I LOVE your sugar-water tip. I will totally have to steal it! :)

Letti said...

Wow this sounds great. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for posting the tip on apples not browning. I love that it doesn't use lemons.

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

OH my word...I love those recipes. FABO! Love the tree too.
And the apple tip...DIVINE! THANK YOU! It may just be a post I mention on my page!

AnneMarie said...

mmmmmmmmmmm just the smell of wassel brings me to this time of year. I love fall too!!