Monday, August 30, 2010

To teach or not to teach... that is the question...

Last weekend I got an unexpected phone call...
It was from the principal at Meg's elementary.
She knew that I just got re certified and was going to substitute teach a bit,
and wondered if I wanted to go back to work- half time.
She knew a Jr. High that needed a half time English teacher,
she'd already called the principal, and told me to call him... he was waiting for my call.
It took me a minute to process the information...
Did I really want to go back to work?
Half time would be great... every other day.
I talked to the Principal and told him I would get my resume packet into the district.
Last week I rushed around getting all my information...
transcripts, letters of recommendation, resume, etc
I interviewed on Wednesday at the district office and then Friday with the Principal.
I haven't heard anything...
I don't think I got the job.
I am okay either way... I can still sub- or not
I really like my days...
It was a crazy week, and I was a little nervous about going back to the classroom,
It has been 5 years- can I still do it?
I think it is good...whatever!

9 comments:

tammy said...

Hard decision. I wish I had a teaching degree to fall back on, or choose to sub whenever. Now I feel like I'm too old.

Suzie said...

That is a toughy. But you would be wonderful at it and you may love it in small amounts. I happen to think going to work full-time after being home with my kids is one of the hardest things to do.
Just wait it out, I suppose the Universe will spell this one out for you.
But now you may have the bug to teach, no?

Vanessa said...

I FEEL YOUR PAIN! We were out to dinner the other night and a lady from the district told me they needed SPED teachers and that I should get back in there and apply. A part of me was like: "someone needs me, I would be a valuable asset to a childs eduction." and then another part of me was like, "what about my baby? I can't send her to a babysitter!"

BUT YOU! Part time would be perfect! You would be there for your kids when they got home.

But really, working just cuts into shopping, tv and other important stuff like blogging.

Lots of factors to consider!

mCat said...

Of course you can do it! And the kids should be so lucky!

Mae Rae said...

That would be the greatest. You could do it. We know you can!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Wow that is a tough one. Half time might be OK.
You'll be great at either teaching or subbing!

Mindi said...

the only problem i see with teaching is that it gives you less time for day drinking.


just a thought.

Jodi and Mandi said...

I'm so glad you are teaching at our school now! I will come see you every A day! :)

Creations from my heart said...

Hi Amy,
Haven't spoken with you in awhile, but been following your blog. Just wanted to say congrats on your new teaching job. With your creativity you will be a blessing to all the children. Wishing you a wonderful school year. You Go Girl! Blessings...Sherry